Elizabeth Draffin

I'm out of town, visiting with family and friends in New York (but I'm still blogging because, well I love you all THAT much!). I hope to visit my cherished reservoir in the next few days. I don't know what it is about that place, but it's so haunting I can't help but feel mesmerized by it.

I'm also going to try to meet with the local historian so I can finally hear the details of a folktale I read when I wrote my first book, The Reservoir.

While writing that book, I spent countless hours pouring over local history and found a folktale like none other. I tried to speak with the historian at that time, but he was unavailable. So I walked through the cemetary myself trying to locate the woman's true identity. That's when I stumbled upon a family plat from the 1700's (which was around the same period as this folktale) and the name on the family headstone was DRAFFIN.

Since that time, I've associated the folktale and the name together, referring to the unknown woman as Elizabeth Draffin. I'm sure that's not really her name, but I kind of hope it is. It's just spooky enough that it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Plus, it would be more than perfect if that eerie name was her real name. I mean, it would be kind of boring if she was called Jane Smith or something. Of course, the fun of being a writer is that her name can be whatever I make it.

So, I hope to write her story soon, retelling the folktale with, hopefully, some merit. Maybe through me, her legacy can live forever. I'm sure you want to know all about this folktale that has me so swept away. I'd give you a hint, but then that would spoil it.

For me,stumbling upon this folktale was just one of the many ways that inspiration strikes. Sometimes it's a dream. Other times it's just a conversation with my family or friends that will spark something. Whatever the reason, I find inspiration all around me.

So what about you? What creates those sparks of inspiration?



PS- Don't forget to pass the word about my contest. It's awesome goodness can't be missed!

Comments

Love the inspiration here.

Mine is sparked by dreams, songs, anything really. Although the last two ideas have been dreams. They wake me up and I have to write them down. I'm so cliche. lol.
Jackee said…
Lovely, inspirational spot! It sounds as though I get ideas in just about the same ways you do.
Chersti Nieveen said…
Do you take those pictures yourself? Because they are GORGEOUS!
melissa said…
I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Thanks for your posts. I am now a follower here. I will be back. :-)
Amie B said…
thanks for your comments ladies! i'm always amazed at how other writers get their inspiration!

chersti - no, i didn't take the photos! i'm not that talented. William Rodden - a dear friend of mine did - and he's credited at the very bottom of the blog :) he doesn't have a website - i'm just lucky enough that he shares his photos with me, so i can share them with you!
Meredith said…
What an awesome place to find inspiration! I can't wait to read the story that comes from it :) I love going on walks with my camera and exploring. You never know what you'll find.

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal for the All-New CINDERSKELLA!!

Spiral Staircase Cake

A Fresh Start - Announcing an All-New Illustrator!!!!