Friday, August 13, 2010

No Rain

I'm probably dating myself here, but one of my favorite songs of all time is No Rain by Blind Melon. In fact, I listened to it (and watched the you tube video) so often while writing my first book, I think I pretty much drove my family insane. How many of you did that to your family and friends while writing a manuscript?

I think the song, in essence, defines me. I've always been a bit of a loner, despite my friendships. And I've always walked to the beat of my own drummer. Following the crowd went against something deep in the core of me, even if it was unpopular. I was, and still am, totally cool with being different.

In the words of the late, great Shannon Hoon:
All I can do is read a book to stay awake and it rips my life away but it's a great escape....



So often I journied to other worlds while growing up. And I didn't rely on anything except the written word and my own imagination to get me there. Books (and music) have always been my escape.

Obviously, since many of writers, books are an escape for you too. So, what is it you like most about reading great books and creating them?


PS- Contest ENDS TODAY! Winner will be announced tomorrow!

7 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

you aren't dating yourself as I think that is still after my time:)
I have immersed myself in books to escape into wonderful worlds too. I'm doing that this week and love it!

Erinn said...

Sadly I don't think that song would have even been as big if it wasn't for the cute girl in the bee costume.

That song always breaks my heart, mostly because to me it's the embodiment of the 90's grudge music movement that ended before it's time. The lead singer died in his tour bus. I wasn't ready for that time to end and poof now it's gone. All we have is the music, it rips our life away but it's great escape.

Sorry didn't mean to bum you out, with my depressing comment.

I plan on reading this weekend. "The Dairy Queen" and "Gone."



In other news, I love the layout of your blog.

Anne said...

I loved this song too. The video is such a classic. I love when I read a book so amazing that I want to create that level of awesome on my own. It's a great big beautiful reading/writing circle.

Karen said...

I gave you an award, Amie. It's at my blog when you want it. :)

Amie B said...

ok erinn - now i want to get my nose pierced (again) and dye my hair purple. those were the days...

thanks karen! yay! i LOVE awards!

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm not a traveler in real life - but in books, I can go anywhere and I really love that.

Also, reading great books always inspires me in my own writing. I want to hit those levels and be able to share my stories in the same way.

Susan Fields said...

I love that song, too! My favorite thing about reading books is loving the characters, and when the tension is so great I can barely keep from skimming ahead to see what happens next. My favorite part about writing them is hoping to give a reader that same reaction someday.