Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pay It Forward

I've been having a pretty crappy week (thankfully, this time it has nothing to do with the writing process) but unfortunately, it's nothing that I can really discuss here. However, there was some light in my day yesterday and that is what I'd like to share with you.

I was taking my three lovely daughters (ages 12, 10 and 6) to my neighborhood pool when I was stopped by a woman I've never spoken to but have seen there often over the last three years. She took my hand and said, "I know we don't know each other, but I just wanted you to know that you have beautiful children. I've never seen kinder, sweeter girls than yours. Any parent would be proud to have children like that."



Thank goodness I had sunglasses on or else I would have looked like a complete idiot when my eyes welled-up with tears. I thanked her for her kind remarks and how they were perfect timing for my miserable day.

I don't know why she decided to tell me that at that exact moment in time. Maybe it was good karma - cause heaven knows I've got to have some of that coming to me. Whatever the reason, someone was smiling on me and for the rest of the afternoon all I heard were those kind words and amazingly all my burdens - the things weighing me down and making me so miserable - were light.

I've always known it, but this experience confirmed to me how very important it is to, not only show kindness to others, but more importantly, to act upon those moments of inspiration.

So, I'd like to give you all a challenge today and possibly for the rest of the week.

I want you to pay it forward.

I'm not talking about the "help the old lady cross the street" kind of thing (though that's really nice and something we should be doing anyway), what I'd like is for you to seek out a blog of a new author/blogger, leave them a nice comment and follow their blog. You have no idea how much it meant to me to gain followers - I'm a seriously shy person (it's true! honest!) - and it might mean the world to someone else struggling out in the blogging world. But more importantly, do it because you want THEM to feel good about what they're doing, not because it brings you something in exchange (though, I'm sure that the law of reciprocation will eventually apply....and possibly some good karma too).

It's truly such a simple thing. And you might make someone's day.

I hope you'll report back and share your experience. I know I will! :)


25 comments:

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Aww. That was so nice of that lady to complement you on your girls like that. I'd cry too. :)

I'm off to pay it forward now.

Erinn said...

I've told parents that.
Earlier in the year I spent two months doing a nice deed a day and I blogged about. The amazing thing is I asked other people to do it and the blog lasted 6 months!

Tania McCue said...

I had that sort of a moment the other day- not child related, although mine is very sweet and amazingly well tempered, but about my writing. I've been at a low point, feeling like I am on that hamster wheel going no where. A girl I went to high school with left some really encouraging and sweet words for my on my facebook- thank goodness I was alone, cause I teared up as well!

I'll be off to find a new blog to follow! Thanks, I love pay it forward challenges!

Amie B said...

lindsey - thanks for paying it forward! i can't wait to hear what happens!

Erinn - i'm sure the parents really appreciated your kind words. pay it foward blog? that's a cool idea!

Tania - isn't it great when something like that happens when we need it most? i hear ya about the hampster wheel. i'm so there myself.

Casey said...

You? Shy? Really? xD

Okay, I'm going to go find a new blog to follow now...

Amie B said...

casey - you don't think so?? ;)

Danyelle said...

Awesome, Amie!

It's amazing the power words have. They can help something bloom into something beautiful, or they can wither and crack. I definitely try to use mine for good. :)

Amie B said...

danyelle - you're so right. when i was little, i always wondered about the rhyme "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" - it was then and still is ridiculous to me. words have so much power.

Kittie Howard said...

Amie, thanks for stopping by. And thank you for sharing so much in such beautiful words. I'm coming out of a pretty rough week, and your blog warmed my heart. Lots of good karma your way that the job in New Zealand comes thru. And thank you for being you!

Amie B said...

thanks kittie. that means a lot :)

Melanie J said...

What a thoughtful thing for you to do!

Sara B. Larson said...

That is such a wonderful feeling, when someone tells you something you really needed to hear at just the right moment, isn't it? I firmly believe in following through on those little promptings to tell someone something nice when you get them. This is a great idea to Pay It Forward! Thank you for sharing, and I hope your week continues to get better. :)

Amie B said...

thanks sara and melanie. it was a perfect "pay it foward" day here in virginia - it's been raining, but we're grateful for it! haven't seen rain in a while. and so i've had some great experiences already, paying it forward. i hope you do too!

Faith Imagined said...

What beautiful and inspiring words! I think showing kindness is as highly esteemed as it should be. I will definitely seek out a new blog today and leave them a wonderful comment!

Julie Musil said...

I'm convinced that is the kindest compliment someone can give a mother. Your daughters look darling, and I can imagine how much that made your day.

I had a similar experience, and I also welled up with tears. It reminded me that I need to not only think nice things, but to actually SAY them.

Christine Danek said...

What a wonderful compliment.Your daughters are beautiful.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and following. I love yours and we have some similar interests.
It amazes me how karma can get you when you least expect it. I will pay it forward.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Meredith said...

I will definitely pay it forward--such a good idea! And that pic of your daughters is adorable. How fun to have three girls!

lbdiamond said...

Aww, nice post Amie! Certainly, paying it forward would make the world a better place! :D

Jen said...

That is such a sweet thing to do. I remember when I started my blog and didn't have any followers. I thought for sure I'd ring up maybe one, but after 8 months of blogging to have a ton of people enjoy what I say I'm dumbfounded and thrilled.

Your brightened my day just by talking about paying it forward. I do my best to do the same, next week is my featured writer's week where I take blog authors and authors with new books out and showcase their talents and interview them on my blog. My hope is that the book interests my readers and they pick it up or at least put it on their TBR list :)

Jackee said...

Such a great challenge! I'm totally going for it. There's nothing better than knowing you've turn people's days around. And there are just too many grumpy people looking out for only themselves in the world anymore. I refuse to be one of them.


Thanks for the award, BTW! That's very sweet of you.

Rose Cooper said...

How sweet--both the lady and this post! I wish things were easier for you right now but it's so nice to know that there are kind people still out there.

BTW, the picture of your daughters is just beautiful! They definitely look like sisters and although i'm not sure what your hubby looks like, I can say they really take after their mom :)


Are YOU ready for Mayhem?

T. Anne said...

You DO have amazingly lovely children! I'm sorry for whatever you're going through. I'm lifting you up in prayer sister!!

Medeia Sharif said...

What a beautiful post. Sometimes we're shy, hesitant or self-involved about being kind, but it really makes someone's day. Also, it does feel rewarding.

Amie B said...

great golly! i don't check my comments for a day and look at how many i missed!

faith - thanks for paying it forward with me!

julie - thank you! they really are sweet girls. and i'm so glad you've had similar experiences.

christine - can't wait to get to know you better!

meredith - i'm not sure how exciting being a mom to 3 girls will be when they're all hormonal. *eh gads!*

laura - you-me, we can make the world a better place together, girl!

jen - what a great way to pay it forward! fantastic idea!

jackee - i agree. life is too short for grumpy people and meaness.

rose - my husband looks like ben affleck. and you're right, my girls look nothing like him. lol i am SO looking forward to MAYHEM!!

T.Anne - thanks for the prayers. they must be working, because things are getting better!

Media - you couldn't be more correct!

THANK YOU ALL for paying it forward the last few days. it's been a wonderful experience for me and i hope it was for you too!

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Came over by following the comment you left at Burrowers, Books & Balderdash....
The same group is doing a collaborative feature called Pay it Forward @ www.the-burrow.org
Do check it out.

And your kids are really cute.