Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trying to Get an Agent is Like...

* Searching for a needle in a haystack.

* A dog chasing its own tail, going round and round in circles.

* Waiting to be picked for a team in gym class - and then being called last.

* Going to the mailbox and realizing there are only bills.

* Pouring a bowl of cereal and realizing someone drank the last of the milk.

* Putting bread in a toaster, walking away and when you come back the bread is burnt.

* Going to a party in jeans and everyone else is dressed-up.

* That dream where you go to school in your underwear, forgot to study for a test, are trying to run away from something or are flying.

* Digging for dinosaur bones.

* Starting your favorite project and halfway through you run out of the most important item - like tape or glue.

* Trying to grow crops in a drought.

* Baking cookies and not having any chocolate chips.

* Your first kiss - messy. (c'mon you know it was)

* Printing off your manuscript and running out of ink.

* "A box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." (ok, that's not mine, that's Forest Gump)

And last but not least.....

Trying to get an agent is like:

* Trying to find a date for prom. Someone just friggin ask me already, would ya?!

What's your experience been like?

19 comments:

Erinn said...

Finding an Agent is like:
It's like every day of middle school, feeling insecure about my boob size when I see everyone else around me with double D's. It's no wonder why I can't land a boyfriend.

Christine Fonseca said...

I so love this post! And Erinn nailed it too - it is like middle school!

Amie B said...

oh erinn - you are so right! (except it wasn't the boob thing - it was just feeling so displaced)

KarenG said...

Great list! I never even tried to get an agent. I would never have made it through the ringer. I went with a small press instead. Reading blogs about everyone's experiences just makes me cringe. You're all stronger than me.

Amie B said...

karen - you are so wise my friend. :) and it's not that we're stronger, just a glutten for punishment. :)

Meredith said...

Haha, it is totally like waiting for a date to prom. I have no patience--I always asked a guy to high school dances instead of waiting for one to ask me. I wish we could do that with agents :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm definitely going with the sports team one. Though I'm happy when friends of mine land agents. It was really depressing being the last one called for a team.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Love this post.

I like the getting chosen last for sports. It's also like everyone else being invited to a party, but your intvitation has got lost in the mail. lol

Sara B. Larson said...

Great post! And so many funny comments too. You'll get there, just don't give up! :)

Terri Tiffany said...

Oh Amie, I love this--and can so relate!! On the good side, at least we have something to compare it to!

Jennifer Shirk said...

This brought a smile to my face. Especially the prom date reference. LOL

KO said...

SO like your first kiss:
a lot of excitement, a lot of daydreaming about what it would be like and then... reality- a little disappointing.
But as was the case with my first kiss, I'm going to keep on trying until I get it right!!

Talli Roland said...

LOVE this, Amie! So, so true. *sigh*

Sara McClung ♥ said...

So funny Amie! And so true... sigh

;)

Elisa said...

I hope getting an agent isn't like getting a date for prom...no one asked me my senior year ;p

ninidee said...

So cute. Trying to find an agent is like tripping and falling flat on my face three inches away from the finish line.

Jackee said...

*grin* So can relate to the last one.

Good luck, Amie!

DLCurran said...

Funny post! And so true... at least for those of us that don't fall in the 'phenom' category. Or maybe that's just me? Maybe I AM actually back in middle school... OMGoodness... what now?

Talei said...

Ha! Love this! And my dance card is open! ;)