Monday, October 4, 2010

"True Miracles With Geneology"

One of my favorite things (when I have time for it) is family history. I love learning all sorts of cool stuff about my ancestors and the legacy they've left for us. My parents have been so diligent in keeping pictures, journals and family trees that I have more information then most.

A tradition that my husband and I started is that each of our girls inherited their middle name from an ancestor. My eldest daughter - from my grandmother. My middle daughter - from a woman in my husband's family tree who was born in the 1700's. My youngest daughter - from my great, great grandmother who lived in Prussia and was a playmate to a Polish Princess. Pretty cool, huh?

I've also learned that my great grandfather was an architect in NYC who designed many of the buildings there. When he had a stroke, his caregiver deceitfully had him sign his estate over to her. Since the court systems aren't what they are today - she received everything while the posterity went broke.

We can learn so much about our past and our future from these family members. It has been an amazing experience in my life to do work and discover these histories.

You're probably wondering what this has to do with writing. Am I right? Well, hold on, I'm about to tell you.
My friend, Anne Bradshaw, has compiled a collection of stories about geneology work entitled TRUE MIRACLES WITH GENEOLOGY. One of my experiences is featured in that book. Cool beans.

If you aren't familiar with Anne's previous publications, check out her website here. She's a talented writer and is inspiration to me. TRUE MIRACLES is currently available at Amazon.

Anne has graciously agreed to giveaway a copy of her book to one lucky winner! All you have to do to enter is leave a comment. One winner will be randomly selected from all the entries. Contest ends Wednesday, October 6th, 2010. WInner will be announced Friday, October 8th, 2010.

Oh and please come back on Wednesday....I'm doing an interview and another GIVEAWAY! You won't want to miss it!!

8 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh, that's cool. My mother couldn't be bother with that stuff. She's from Finland, which was under Russian rule at one point. For all I know, my ancestors were stable boys for a czar.

My husband's parents are from East Prussia. No princesses in their lives, tho. :)

Anne said...

All I know is that I'm related to the first German settler in Milwaukee. Which doesn't seem like much but when I went to German fest on Milwaukee's lakefront I felt a smidgen of pride.

Terri Tiffany said...

I love learning about our history in our family. Congrats on being in the book!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, that's really neat! I love learning about my family history. A lot I learn from stories my mom tells, which are always so interesting.

Bethany Mattingly said...

That's soo cool. I love looking into my family's genealogy. Sign me up!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Wow, that is really cool. I know someone on my mums side of the family has researched the family tree, but I don't know much about after my grea-grandparents. It would be interesting to find out.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

This book sounds awesome! (I met Anne briefly last April at LDStorymakers conference, too. Been following her blog for ages.)

Talli Roland said...

Wow, that's amazing! And thanks fr the info about the book!

I just found out some of my ancestors owned a silk mill in Manchester, England. One of the owner wanted to marry a worker, which was a no-no. So they emigrated to the New World! And now I've gone back to England...