You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!

As you know, I've been participating in NaNo. I know we're only 8 days into it, but it only took me till day 3 to figure out that NaNo isn't for me.

I'm the kind of writer that hates editing. So instead of having a HUGE, overwhelming project full of WORD VOMIT at the end, I prefer to edit little by little as I go. Yes, of course, there will still be edits, but they won't be all-consuming. Usually it ends up being minor tweaks. But with NaNo, editing while you write is counter-productive to reacing that 50K word count at the end of 30 days. So I end up writing with wreckless abadonment and boy, is it a train wreck!

Here's a GEM I wrote the other day:
Not one part of her would cooperate with her thoughts. It was like something else was commanding her body to do something else.

OMG - WTFreak???

Seriously. That's. Bad.

Kinda reminds me of Ralphie describing the Red Rider BB Gun.

"...And this thing which tells time..."



Uh - I think he means a CLOCK!

So if i hadn't been NaNo-ing it, the sentence would have read like this:
There wasn't a single part of Blair's body that would cooperate with her thoughts. Not her arms, not her legs and certainly not her mouth. It was as though an unseen force had commanded her body into a grand mal seizure that she had no control over.

Much. Better.

Sure it still requires editing - but not the kind of work the first example needs.

So yeah, NaNo-ing = not for Amie. But I'll stick it out because once I make a commitment, I follow through with it.

What about you? Are you participating in NaNo? What's your experience with 30 days of literary abandon?

Comments

I'm taking part in NaNo, but I've had a few days where I haven't written. :(

I like to edit as I go as well. For me, it's the end product rather than the word count, so I'm not too upset if I don't hit the
50k in 30 days. I know I'll get there in the end. :)
Jennifer Shirk said…
well, you realized it wasn't for you quicker than I did. LOL When I tried NaNo a few years ago, I lasted about a week or so before my brain exploded and I was left with a big mess to clean up. LOL
I need to edit as I go too.
Jaydee Morgan said…
I'm in the same camp. I've tried NaNo in the past but like you, it doesn't work for me. It never hurts to try something new, so congrats and good luck with the rest!
Meredith said…
I'm still skeptical about it, but I'm going as fast as my inner editor will let me. It's all about finding what works for you. Good luck with your draft!
Erinn said…
Yeah Nanowrimo is NOT for me, either. My life just doesn't work for nanowrimo.
Good for you sticking it out. I'll be cheering you on at my blog!
Colene Murphy said…
Oh well, right? What works for some can't work for all. At least you tried!
Sara B. Larson said…
Ha ha, that's too funny. Sometimes writing quickly works for me and sometimes not. I've written a book (not during NaNo, just on my own) in two weeks before. I've also taken four months to write one. (I'll bet you can guess which one was waaaay cleaner on the first draft!)

At least it's words on a paper though, right?
Abby Minard said…
I totally know what you mean. I write slow, because I sit and think about the best possible sentence or word to use. I can't just throw something on the page and go on. I am doing NaNo, but only to encourange myself to write every day, so that maybe I can finish my current WIP. I can't write any faster than normal, but at least I can spend a little more time doing it.
Amie Kaufman said…
I come from the school of thought that says that once you've tried it, you absolutely get to knock it. I really admire you for trying out something that really goes against your instincts. Even more for continuing on to finish it! I'm a huge NaNo fan, but this year you're kicking my butt. A combination of a slow start and now tendonitis means I'm sloooow. Still, plenty of November left!
ciaraknight said…
I'm having to take a break for two days to finish something else. I hope to catch up Wed-Fri. I agree the WIP will require HEAVY edits. :)
lbdiamond said…
I did nano last year--got my 50000 words in like 2 1/2 weeks. Word counts I can do. My goal now is to make them count (& oddly enough, a book needs a plot--who knew?? *head desk*), so I need quality over quantity.
wheresmypencil said…
Lol, if I did NaNo I'm sure many of sentences would include the word something. In fact my ms would probably read something (lol) like this.

Something stepped on his hand. He jumped and landed on something rolling his something. The something laughed and he realized that something was the girl he met the night before.

I tend to write my first drafts extremely slow, and like you edit little by little. I don't even want to imagine how my plot points would line up. And now he needs to be here so...yeah you get the picture.
LeishaMaw said…
Yup, I'm doing the NaNo, and like you, I don't think it's for me. I'm too set on editing as I go. I think digging the Grand Canyon with my left elbow would be easier than not editing as I write. :)
Rezden said…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. The only thing that is driving me now is that my sister is doing it to, and won't fail especially if my sister finishes. Yay for sibling rivalry I guess, lol.
MT said…
I signed up, but more so I could watch from the sidelines than actually participate. Maybe that's cheating, but I think I agree with you - NaNo looks fun...for other people. It's too fast paced for me. Kudos for trying though. Have a great week!
Rose Cooper said…
That's great you're sticking it out though. It's a learning experience but you also came up with a great story idea in the process!

BTW- A Christmas Story is my FAVORITE holiday movie. Ever. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal for the All-New CINDERSKELLA!!

Spiral Staircase Cake

A Fresh Start - Announcing an All-New Illustrator!!!!