Friday, January 21, 2011

Free Crit Friday

You know what that means....yup. Leave your query letter, first page of your manuscript or a one page synopsis in the comments! Don't forget to include your email address so I can send you the crit. For those of you that submitted last week, don't worry, I'm still working on them! I got a little behind but it looks like I'm all caught up now and can finish them soon :)

Okay, so some of you are probably wondering why I do the crits privately and don't post them on my blog for everyone to comment on. Well, there's a few reasons for this.

1 - There's a gazillion blogs that do that already.

2 - I have to be different. Ya'know, I'm a trendsetter ;)

3 - Sharing any portion of your work is a scary, scary thing. And I think anyone who is seeking help deserves to have that work evaluated privately. I like to think of it like auditioning for a musical. In the audition process you might have some confidence or else you wouldn't be there, but then you see your competition and kinda freak out. But once you've been cast in the leading role, then you know you're good enough.

4 - Maybe it's just me, but I think the open forum thing invites people to be TOO open sometimes and they might make unthoughtful....okay harsh...okay fine - RUDE comments. And that just won't help anyone.

5 - Let's face it, rejection is painful. Critiques shouldn't be.

There you have it. Now leave your query letter for me to shred, I mean critique. :)

Happy weekend!


4 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I totally agree about the public sharing part. My query turned into a disaster when too many individuals felt they needed to upstage the last commenter. In the end, it lost the voice and explained too much which really didn't need to be explained.

Amie B said...

yep. too many cooks spoil the pot!

Amie Kaufman said...

I hadn't really thought about that kind of danger, but I can see exactly what you mean.

So excited about the crit! You're the best!

Sophia the Writer said...

Aw, what a great thing you do for your readers! (surfed over from Elana's blog)