Monday, June 27, 2011

Why I Will NEVER Read Another Carrie Ryan Novel

So I've had THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES sitting on my TBR pile since the book was released in March. I don't know why I didn't pick it up and read as soon as I purchased it. I mean I knew I'd devour it in a day. Instead, I read other books (books worth reading, I might add), played with my kids, wrote a little, and pretty much anything else I could do in order to avoid reading this book.

It's crazy, right? Especially after my post explaining that Carrie is like my BFF. My Bestie. I mean, who wouldn't want to support their best friend?

Well here's why I won't support my best friend anymore and why I'll never read another Forest of Hands and Teeth novel:

1- Her characters are so well developed that I feel like I know them as well as I know my BFF. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, but they're tortured so much throughout the story that I can't bare to see them in pain. And that's just not cool. You suck Carrie. SUCK!

2- The world is so real that I'm left wondering about things long after I put the book down. That's not cool. I have a LIFE and I can't devote all this time to thinking about her story, the characters and the world they live in. Yeah, thanks a lot Carrie. It's almost like you knew I didn't want to accomplish anything this week.

3- It's unputdownable, resulting in my need to stay up until 3am in order to finish the book. Then, all I could imagine were Unconsecrated fingers lunging for me in the dark. So, I had to sleep with the light on. Not cool, Carrie. NOT COOL. Do you realize how tired I am today? But you don't care, do you? You'll just go on writing your fantastic books, keeping me reading until 3 am.

So that's why I'll NEVER read another Carrie Ryan book...and why she's no longer my BFF. You can tell her I said so.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Haha, I hate books like that! So annoying. I must read the new Carrie Ryan!

Angie said...

LOL. I haven't read any of those, but now I'm wanting to!

Tracey Neithercott said...

Hahaha. I loved the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I haven't read the others yet. I love her writing so I'm sure they're equally as awesome. Er, um, I mean terrible. They're terrible! ;)

KarenG said...

These are books I've been wanting to read. And what you just posted here is what my mom would have called a backhanded compliment LOL.

Amie Borst said...

LOL Karen. I prefer to call it sarcasm!

(you SHOULD read the books, BTW. what are you waiting for???)

Rose Cooper said...

haha, I totally "don't" want to read any Carrie Ryan novels now!

Faith Imagined said...

I think she will take your post as a compliment!

JEFritz said...

This is a little funny because I picked up the first in the series a few weeks ago--I know, so late. And just today I read the entire second half because I could NOT put it down. Now I'm hungering for the other two and am worried because the third one wasn't in the book store when I went. How devious of Ms. Ryan.

Talli Roland said...

Haha! Loved this review! I must check out the book - dare I admit I've never heard of it?