Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween Ya'll!

Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays of the year! I'll admit, I'm still a kid at heart, so I love dressing up in costumes. Last year my hubby and I went as Thing 1 and Thing 2. But I've been so busy this year that I haven't created a costume for myself. Thankfully there's plenty of stuff packed away in my "costume box" that I can come up with something quick. Maybe I'll just throw on my red cape and go as Little Red :)

Another reason Halloween is one of my favorite holidays is because I have the liberty to be as creative as I want. Last year I made a graveyard cake, for example. And each year I make cute little crafts with my children's classes at school. It also gives me a creative outlet for writing. I love "dark" or "spooky" stories and Halloween really ignites the flames for things of the unknown....ghosts, goblins, demons, vampires, witches and werewolves!

Plus, Halloween means NaNo is right around the corner. Okay, so last year I did NaNo and I hated it. I couldn't turn off my internal editor so I had a hard time really staying on track and squeezing out my word count. This year I'm going to tackle it the best way I know how: write and edit as I go. If I don't meet the 50,000 words by the end of November, I'm okay with that. What I will be happy with is that I've got a great start to another book!

So as I trick-or-treat with my kids tonight, I will be plotting and planning my next story, WILLOWBROOK a YA Gothic.

What do you love about Halloween? Happy Halloween and don't eat too much candy!


6 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Love your NaNo philososphy, Amy. We should never force ourselves to be the type of writer we're not. Writing is supposed to be fun. If NaNo becomes stressful, then what's the point of it?

Anne Gallagher said...

Unfortunately, I don't like Halloween. I stay home and keep all the lights off with the dogs and cat beside me on the couch. I was scared really badly as a kid and it's remained stuck in my head.

And good for you for giving Nano a go again. Never try, never succeed.

Meredith said...

Sounds like you have a good NaNo plan! I think it's really about what works for you. Have fun trick-or-treating and plotting!

Terri Tiffany said...

We actually had kids come to our house this year as we are renting in a suburbia--so that was fun:) Husband never ever had the chance to give out candy!

Jessica Nelson said...

Hi Amie, I came over from Terri's place. I like the free chocolate I get at halloween (thanks to my many children, lol)
I LOVE your bio, btw!

Michelle Teacress said...

What I loved this year was doing my grocery shopping and seeing shoppers dressed up - there was even a little red. :)