Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Violin Cake

My daughter asked me to make a cake for her orchestra teacher's birthday. So I caved in to her request, dedicated a few days (and lots of thinking) and created this cake for both the teacher and my daughter.


In order to create the violin shape, I had my daughter trace her violin onto art paper. Then I cut it out and placed it onto a sheetcake I had already baked.

After carefully carving the cake, I was able to apply the fondant. To get the shiny patina, I hand painted Wilton gel food coloring (in various browns and reds) right onto the fondant.

Thankfully I had premade all the tuning pegs, the scrolls, the fine tuners, the bridge and the chin rest out of fondant (though next time I might mix some gum paste into that fondant to help it dry harder). The strings were floral wire and although they worked well, it was difficult to get them perfectly straight. I might try string next time.

I thought adding some flowers and sheet music would really give the cake that extra finishing touch. So I printed off a few copies of HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ripped the edges and dusted them with chalks to give it an aged effect. I think those additions really made the cake! (no pun intended)

The faculty and staff at the school were really impressed with the cake. The orchestra class had no problem devouring the entire cake - along with two dozen cupcakes! I'd call that a success!

What do you think?

1 comment:

Meredith said...

That is absolutely incredible! I love it. You've got such talent!