Thursday, March 8, 2012

Forsaken Harbor - Summer Chronicles

So I'm a total boob. This post was supposed to go up on Tuesday, March 6th but...it didn't. Instead I was sitting in the hospital at my mother's bedside as she recovered from major surgery. It was quite the hurried eight hour drive there last week. I took my eldest daughter with me who happened to be a great companion and we spent many hours at the hospital helping my mom in her recovery. But, that's a story for another day.

Today, I have Forsaken Harbor - Summer Chronicles, Book Two by Laura Kreitzer to share with you. It's a very rare thing for me to do a book review, so this is a real treat!


Blurb:
The Secret Clock Society has infiltrated every aspect of the government. You can’t hide from them, you can’t out run them—the only choice is to surrender or die fighting. Well, Summer’s found her voice and her confidence. She’ll fight if necessary, but for now she’s on the run. And the only place that can offer her refuge is the one city that’s been devastated with disease and death. Full of savages, Forsaken Harbor holds her life on the edge of a knife. Is there still hope to be found here after all? Or will survival mean savagery?

I hadn't read the first book before reading book two (I know, DUH!)but one of the things I admired most about Laura's storytelling is that she was able to guide the reader into Summer's life in this story with elaborate detail. Even though these details helped catch me up with everything that's happened in Summer's life, they didn't draw me out of the story, either. It was just enough to make me feel as though I'd been there with Summer all along!

Even though Summer starts the story as a mute from the abuse she'd suffered, she finds her voice. With that voice, I found her to be a strong heroine, one to root for! Supporting characters and love interests (need I say, Gage?! or Jullian?!)had me melting... :) Suspense and action made this a fast-paced story that held my attention the whole time!

I don't like to give too much away....but I'll leave you with a few choice words:
murder
romance
secret societies

Need I say more??!!

So what are you waiting for? Go read Forsaken Harbor. Now!


Laura is the owner of Revolution Publishing, a small house dedicated to books for young adults. Her company is definately one of the up-and-coming publishers and I encourage everyone to check out all their titles!

3 comments:

Angela Felsted said...

Thank you for sharing. And for the record, you are most certainly NOT a boob for taking care of your mother when she was sick.

This book looks interesting.

Terri Tiffany said...

It is always fun to learn about a new book:)
Hope your mom is doing much better now!

Laura Diamond said...

Sounds like a great read!

I hope your mom recovers quickly...gosh, to think we were so close to meeting! *sigh* Maybe next time...