Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spiral Staircase Cake

So I was super busy this past week creating a spiral staircase cake for a church youth activity.

Here's my creation:


Carving a spiral cake is pretty easy, I did it once before with a piano cake I made. Here's a photo of it:


Anyway, a spiral staircase was a bit trickier...Not only did I have to carve the spiral, but I had to do it in steps, instead of one smooth cut.

First I start by layering my cake, in this case two 10 inch rounds. Then I mark off, with toothpicks, where I want to make my cuts, like this:














Next, I carefully carve each layer. Like this:














Once that's complete, I give the cake a crumb coat. Then I carve the next layer (in this case two 12 inch rounds) and finally, the layers are stacked. Like this:



Then I covered the cake in one large piece of fondant. Im this photo, I had started the cobblestone path using an embossing tool courtesy of DUFF.


Then I assembled the rest of the cake, including my princesses made from rice krispies treats, covered in fondant/gum paste mix.

What do you think?


3 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I can't believe you made these! I am so impressed as I can barely frost a cake!! Wow! I hope you sell them for a business.

Dragitta said...

The cake looks amazing and tasty! :D Congrats!

And also I want to thank you for sharing with us art of making spiral cake. I want to make special cake for my sister's graduation, and thanks to your knowledge and kindness I think I will have success.

Wish you all the best!

Giana Forzareli said...

I am very impressed with your creative intelligence. This is something that I have wanted to try for years. I wonder how long it would take me to make a spiral stair cake. I am going to follow this blog for updates. Thanks for sharing this great content.