Monday, November 12, 2012

Interview with Ann Marie Meyers

I'm so excited to welcome Ann Marie Meyers to my blog today! I've known Ann Marie for about two years. We're involved in the same online crit group, but more importantly we've become good friends during the short time we've known each other.  Now, Ann Marie and I have even more in common because she recently signed with Jolly Fish Press for her MG Fantasy UP IN THE AIR. Ironically, I'd urged her to query Jolly Fish Press before I even considered it for myself.



Me:  What inspires you when you write? Do you prefer a zombie attack or a guy in a hockey mask to get the words flowing?

Ann Marie:  A zombie attack? The only thing that would achieve is to make my legs flow faster than a raging river. A guy in a mask? Hmm. Well, let’s see. Hmm. Nope. That does nothing for me.

The book I’m working on is the only inspiration I need. When I get started on a story, I become, for want of a better word, obsessed; overcome with the desire to shape and mold it to completion. The characters and plot take on a life of their own and I’m hooked until the end.

Me:  I'm the same way!  I love when those characters talk to me.  I mean, I love writing and I'm not crazy.  So, do you listen to music when you write? If so, do you dance gangnam style too?

Ann Marie:  Here’s the image I got from this question. Me, music blasting, standing in front of my computer as my legs jig to the beat of the rhythm, arms crisscrossing in front of me while my fingers, somehow, manage to race over the keyboard typing gangnam style way better than I could ever do that dance.. .

Me:  *snort*

Ann Marie:  Seriously though, I love listening to music while I write. But honestly, once I get into a story, everything fades into the background, even music. I can be at one of the busiest Starbucks, surrounded by the loudest group(s) of people ever, and once I start to write, their voices fade to the gentlest of hums until I’m no longer even aware of their presence.

Me:  I love writing in a cafe!  I don't have all the distractions of dishes, laundry and housework.  What's your favorite writing treat? Personally I'd go with chocolate, but bacon is good too. However if you say broccoli, I will hunt you down.

Ann Marie:  No need to hunt me down, Amie. Chocolate wins, hands down. Of course, most times I have to sneak a stash into my office, away from the prying eyes of husband and daughter. And let’s not get into how many hours I need to spend at the gym after a chocolate binge.

Me:  Tell me about it!  The gym and the hiding it away!  I deal with both as well.  If only I didn't have to sedate that thin person inside of me with chocolate....So, tell me Ann Marie....if you see dogs popping in your yard, do you prefer NY or LA style?

Ann Marie:  First of all, ‘dogs popping’ is a concept you’ll need to explain to your readers or they’ll have no clue what we’re talking about. But, presuming they do, no style will do.

Actually, I take that back. Show me a dog popping gangnam style and I might change my mind.

Me:  I don't think it needs an explanation any longer!  LOL!  Thanks for joining me here Ann Marie!


From the Jolly Fish Press site -

Up In The Air:

Ever since she can remember, ten-year-old Melody has always wanted to fly.

And when she leaps off a swing in the park one day and lands in the mystical land of Chimeroan , her dream finally comes true. She is given a pair of wings. She can fly! Life cannot be any better.

Yet, dreams do come with a price. Even with wings, Melody realizes she cannot outfly the memories of her past. The car accident that has left her father paralyzed, and her unscarred, still plagues her with guilt—she believes that it was entirely her fault.

In Chimeroan, Melody is forced to come to terms with her part in her father's accident. She must choose between the two things that have become the world to her: keeping her wings and healing her father.

Up in the Air is Meyers' first children’s novel and is slated for release July 6, 2013.






Ann Marie grew up in Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies . She has a degree in languages and translates legal and technical documents from French and Spanish into English. She lives in Toronto , Ontario , with her husband and super energetic daughter. Ann Marie is an active member of SCBWI and facilitates a children's writing group twice a month.

Visit Ann Marie on her blogwww.annmarie-meyers.com


5 comments:

Elsie Park said...

What a FUN INTERVIEW!!! Loved reading about our sweet and loveable Ann Marie.

Jen Swanson said...

Excellent interview Amie! Congrats again to Ann Marie on her success. She deserves every bit of it.

Ann Marie Meyers said...

Thank you so much Elsie and Jen. And yes, Amie has a way with words. Her interview questions were awesome.

Janet Kay Jensen said...

Nice to get to know you a little, Ann Marie! Can't wait for your book to come out.

Ann Marie Meyers said...

Thank you Janet!! 8 more months and counting.