Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Welcome Chantal Bellehumeur!

Chantal Bellehumeur is the co-author of Sdrawkcab.  I was so excited to learn that her twelve year old son, Aidan, is the other author! I just love parent-child writing teams!
 
Sdrawkcab
Nothing interesting ever happens to Lina Lombardo. That is, until she meets Professor Alfonso and enters a magical universe with mermaids, angels, pixies, elves, dwarves, gnomes, leprechauns, unicorns, winged horses, talking animals, giant bugs, arachnids, oversized lizards, fire breathing dragons, trolls, goblins, ghouls, vampires, werewolves, ogres, and other so-called unreal creatures.
The universe of Sdrawkcab, divided into a dark side and a bright side, is ruled by two queens: one evil and one good. The bright queen’s crown stones have been stolen to weaken her. The dark queen has hidden all twelve magical stones within her side of the universe and her most vicious creatures guard them.
With the help of Professor Alfonso and some new friends, Lina embarks on a dangerous journey to find the magic stones and restore them to the bright queen to save Sdrawkcab from permanent darkness, which will eventually lead to the human universe’s destruction.
 
 
Me: Hi Chantal! Welcome to my blog. So glad to have you here today.  Where did you get the idea and concept for your story? 
 
Chantal:  I woke up from a strange dream one morning and felt the need to write it down. The next thing I knew, I had an outline for a novel. I shared it with my son and he loved it. When the book was completed, he told me he thought it should be turned into a movie. By the way, the title of the book is the word backwords in reverse. My son and I came up with that name because the world I created is a bit backwards. 
 

Me: How cool is that! I never noticed that about the title until you mentioned it. I think it's even cooler that your son was excited about your writing.  What role did your son play in the writing process? 
 
Chantal:  Every time I would finish the draft of a chapter I would read it to my son and he would give me his input from a child’s perspective.
 

Me:  Excellent! That's a great way to get kids involved.  What are your inspirations?
 
Chantal:  I get mainly inspired by life in general, and sometimes dreams.
 

Me:  Dreams are a big inspiration for me, too.  What route did you chose for publication and why? 
 
Chantal:  I had already self published six novels before writing Sdrawkcab, so I continued down that route. I write as a hobby, but it is becoming more and more part of my everyday life. I started writing short stories for The Suburban Online Magazine. Ideas seem to flow faster than I can write them! lol
 

Me:  Indie authors rawk!  So....vanilla or strawberry?
 
Chantal:  Can I pick chocolate instead? Lol My son said he prefers chocolate too. If it really comes down to vanilla or strawberry, Aidan said he would pick Vanilla. I would choose Strawberry.
 
Me: I'm with you! It's got to be chocolate.  Cookies and cream or black raspberry?
 
Chantal:  Definitely cookies and cream for both myself and my son.
 
Me:  Good choice.  The loch ness monster or yeti? 
 
Chantal:  The loch ness monster.

Me:  Remind me never to go swimming with you! Thanks for joining me here today, Chantal. It was great getting to know a bit more about you.


I always loved to write but never thought about publishing anything until a friend of mine told me I should.

Before that, I was more interested in acting. I performed in a couple of amateur stage showed and joined a Youth run Theatre Company. I was also an extra in a few commercials, TV shows and movies.

My love for acting soon got replaced with the love for my son. I made him my number one priority. I found it easier to write on my spare time than to work around other people's schedules to act. I found that I had to use some of my acting training to write since I had to put myself in the shoes of the characters I created.

I write a bit of everything; I started off with a series of soap operas/romance books for female readers and continued with my horror novel “Just.Anohter.Common.Killer”. My son did the drawing for the book cover. I published a mystery book called“Thirteen-A Compilation of short stories” as well as a fictional health related novel entitled “Hope” to make people understand what living with Colitis is like. Finally, I wrote the fantasy book “Sdrawkcab”
for my pre-teen son.


I have been receiving a lot of positive feedback and am hoping that others will help me pass the word along about my books, even if I simply write as a hobby.

I started writing short stories for The Suburban's Online Magazine. “A Mohter’s Love” was published in the April 26 issue and people can read it for free. “A Father’s Love” will be published in June, followed by “An unplanned Wedding” in July. I am working on “Emily’s Birthday getaway” for August. All the stories are about the same characters.

While I continue to come up with stories, I encourage my son to so some writing of his own since he is full of good ideas and has a big imagination. He reminds me of myself as a child. Aidan also loves to draw.

I am a single mom and feel very lucky to have Aidan in my life.
 



 


1 comment:

Ann Marie Meyers said...

The book sounds fun - just my kind of story :)