Disability in Kid Lit - a Middle-Grader's Perspective

A few weeks back an email pinged in my inbox. At first I thought it was nothing more than spam, but decided to take a chance and open the email.

That email contained a note to my daughter from two YA authors, Corinne and Kody. They invited her to be part of a Disability in Kid Lit blog event. Wow! What a wonderful opportunity! I was so honored that they wanted to include her--that they wanted a child author's perspective. I was also amazed at how they even knew about us and found her...a reminder that the kid lit community is so small, a reminder that we're all in this together.

Bethanie was apprehensive about discussing her disabilities and nearly turned down this fabulous opportunity.  After some encouragement and persuasion, my daughter and co-author agreed to write a post. You can find it here. I hope you'll read it. I think you'll find it quite insightful!

I hope everyone out there can be inspired by her and by others with disabilities. After all, that's part of what makes them such special people!




P.S. You can read all the great posts the event has to offer here as well as follow the disability folks on twitter. Be sure to use the #DisabilityInKidLit hashtag!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal for the All-New CINDERSKELLA!!

Spiral Staircase Cake

A Fresh Start - Announcing an All-New Illustrator!!!!