Sunday, July 21, 2013

How Do You Deal With Snippy People?

It seems I've had to deal with snippy people quite a bit lately. I'm not really sure if it's the summer heat, personality conflict or just stress, but boy! Some people are cranky beyond measure.

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt - try to remember that they might be personally struggling with something that I'm unaware of. We truly don't know what someone is going through in their personal lives. Although I'm not perfect, I've tried really hard to apply this thinking when someone becomes rude and snippy with me. Even if they're not going through some traumatic life event, at least it has given me an opportunity to practice patience, kindness and charity.

Now, I know I have no control over it, but I certainly wish the same kindness were reciprocated. I'm not saying that trials give me an excuse to be rude or cranky, but perhaps if others took a moment to consider my personal life events, maybe they'd be more gentle when interacting with me, and others.

I won't go into detail about my personal trials but let me tell you that things haven't been peachy. I have loads of struggles, some physical, others spiritual and temporal. My health hasn't been the best lately (for starters, I have Lyme disease which has gone into my heart tissue) and medications make me feel absolutely miserable. I've dealt with loss, legal battles, family dynamics, and major life-altering events. No one really knows what I've endured. Telling them really wouldn't change their perception either, so I tend to keep it to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses.  I'm not even looking for sympathy or compassion.  Perhaps just some understanding and patience would be nice.  Since I have no control over others and their actions, I can only control my own behavior.

I chose kindness.

In the words of Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes."

How about you? How do you deal with the unkind people in your life?


No comments: