Monday, September 2, 2013

The Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop


 

It's Labor Day and you're probably enjoy some hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, soaking up the final moments of summer. Am I right?

Oh wait, you're here! Reading my blog post. How thoughtful of you. I promise you won't regret it, either, because I have the fabulous Eric Bishop here dishing on his favorite cowboy movies.

 
EricBishopAuthor 

 ERIC BISHOP is known to to his friends and family as an “author version of Clint Eastwood.” As the owner of a successful marketing firm, Bishop spends most of his time on his Utah ranch writing with the music of his adolescence bouncing off the walls. When he’s not writing, Bishop enjoys spending time with his wife and four lovely daughters at his home in Nibley, Utah. Unlike Jim, Bishop hasn’t had any run-ins with the Mafia. Yet.



Eric:  What are my favorite cowboy movies?
Let’s get right to it. Here are my top six.

1)      The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Some say it’s long and laborious but compared to the jerking camera, frenetic action scenes in today’s movies, I love the drawn out tension before anyone pulls the trigger. A few years ago, they found about twenty extra minutes of footage. Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach did voiceovers. Their words crackle with age and all it does is add to my enjoyment. I will never tire of the final scene, where Tuco’s yelling is squelched by the noose until Clint shoots him free. I’m going to watch it right now and finish this later. 

2)      Okay I’m back. The next movie on my list is The Cowboys. This John Wayne classic tells the tale of a group of boys who are tough loved to manhood during a cattle drive by the Duke himself. They say books are better than movies, but I’d contend no writer who has ever lived could convey what I feel when the stone faced boys let Bruce Dern’s horse drag him to death. It’s a coming of age story that makes all others seem like posers.  

3)      All the Pretty Horses. Billy Bob Thornton’s near perfect adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s novel matches my reading experience. From the perfect casting of Matt Damon as John Grady Cole, Lucas Black as Jimmy Blevins, and Penelope Cruz as Alejandra to lifting the dialogue lines directly from the novel, this movie proves that to make a movie a book’s equal, you must follow the book! 

4)      Unforgiven. Clint Eastwood’s first trip to the podium for an Oscar is tattooed to my story telling psyche. Nobody does the gray areas of human behavior like Clint. This movie version of the Laurel and Hardy skit “who’s on first” still has me wondering who the villain and hero are years later.  

5)      John Wayne won the Oscar for Best Actor in 1970 for his role in True Grit. When I heard of the remake, the only question wasn’t if they’d messed it up, but how bad. I went to the theater in 2010 expecting to see a train wreck and left believing Ethan and Joel Coen could improve The Sistine Chapel. It was anchored by Jeff Bridges, whose portrayal of  Rooster Cogburn was (dare I say it?) better than John Wayne!  

6)      Open Range. Thank you Kevin Costner for the cinematography, story, dialogue, character study, and especially for casting Robert Duvall. There is no movie, western or otherwise where I enjoy every scene so much. The open prairie, boardwalk in town, and gun fight are among the best ever filmed.
 

My debut novel, The Samaritan’s Pistol, has gotten rave reviews. If it gets made into a movie, I’d be honored to have it portrayed anywhere close to as well as anything on this list. Each movie was invaluable in crafting my characters and premise. Thanks to Amie for hosting me and to you for taking a moment to read my words.

Click the following links to read reviews, watch the author interview, make a purchase or view the trailer for The Samaritan’s Pistol. 
Barnes and Noble: http://tinyurl.com/m4d765f

 
 
SPCoverSmall


Even among his small town neighbors, Jim is a content man. Despite the emotional baggage from his time serving in Desert Storm, he successfully runs a ranch, owns several beautiful horses, and makes extra cash as a wilderness guide for wealthy tourists. He's a modern-day cowboy. That is, until he runs into an ongoing mob-hit while riding in the mountains. Now, his most beloved horse is bleeding to death, three mobsters are dead from his smoking gun, and a wounded criminal is begging for his help. Jim has to make a decision. He can either high-tail it out of there, or accept a tempting offer made by the criminal-a promise of millions in stolen mafia cash for any help he gives.
Of course, only an idiot would turn down such an appealing offer when they're marked for death anyway. Besides, Jim's good nature cannot allow him to leave someone for dead, even a criminal. Soon, Jim finds himself on a trip to retrieve a truckload of stolen money near the Las Vegas strip, right under the Mafia's nose. But even if they escape with the cash, will Jim's conservative neighbors provide sanctuary for their local Samaritan, and how far will the mafia go for revenge?
 
 
 
Thanks for joining us today, Eric! And thanks to YOU, my loyal readers! Now go eat some hamburgers!



No comments: