Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Why I think the New Year is a Waste!

Who doesn't love the idea of a new year? It's an opportunity to start over, start fresh.
There's New Year's Eve with it's food, family, and friends. There's the movie version we all see in our head with soft lights, perfect dress and a kiss at midnight.

But I think New Year's is stupid!

Want to know why?
I'm going to tell you anyway.

Because all I saw in my Facebook newsfeed was how glad my friends were that 2013 was over!
"2013 sucked!"
"Boy am I glad 2013 is over. Bring on the new year!"
"What a horrible year. I'm so glad that's behind me."

Know what?

I feel really sorry for those people. I feel sorry that they had to wait an entire year to start over. I'm sad that despite their trials they couldn't see a single ounce of goodness in the 365 days that had passed.

I've had years in the past that were really rough. REALLY hard.. Some years were so horrible I admit it was difficult to find the good, to find the joy.

But you want to know something?
A new year isn't going to change that. A new month won't. Neither will a new week or a new day.
Wanna know why?

Because it's not the day or time that changes our circumstances. The sun isn't going to rise on a new day and say, "Wow, Jane had a miserable day yesterday. So I'm going to make today her day."

No, that doesn't happen. Because it doesn't matter if the sun rises or sets, if the tide comes in or goes out. All of that will remain constant.

But the one thing that can change is YOU.

So when you fail to make a change within, you'll never see the goodness in a day, even when it's been miserable. Even when it's been wonderful.

There are people out there suffering...homeless, hungry, terminally ill...these people have real trials. But I hardly think they're waiting for a new year to make a change.

I feel sorry for those who waste an entire year waiting for the new one to start. 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8766 hours, and 525,600 minutes are gone and you'll never get them back if you don't change.

Start seeking the joy in every day things. Start seeing the joy in the great.
From the daily morning routine and chaos of getting your kids to school, to the publication of your novel, every one of those moments are worth celebrating!

So don't wait for a new year to change, do it now.


1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Aime, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/