Monday, August 4, 2014

C is for Castles - Tips for Teens!

C is for Castles!

Not long ago I found this wonderful quote from Shannon Hale:

"When writing a first draft, I remind myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box, so that later I can build castles."

I love it because too many times I spend my time perfecting a page, a paragraph, a sentence without first finishing the writing of the novel. Things often change in the process of writing. A character's motivation is altered. The setting is tweaked. A plot element is eliminated. With all those changes, there's not point in building a "castle" until the sand is first put into that sandbox.

Don't make the same mistakes that I made early on (and continue to do as a perfectionist). Focus on filling your sandbox first (put the words on the page), then build your castle (perfect your story once it's complete).  You'll thank me for it later. Oh, and Shannon Hale, of course!

No comments: